Thursday, May 1, 2014

Create a memorable, romantic event she will treasure forever!


WHOSE DAY IS THIS ANYHOW?

I will never forget my first Mother's Day . . . breakfast in bed complete with a rose in a bud vase, waited on hand and foot all day, dinner out . . . you name it I had it.  Now that's what Mother's Day is all about, right?  Wrong!  That lasted about two years and then our lives became so bogged down with everyday responsibilities I just never felt I could take a whole day to pamper myself.  Maybe breakfast in bed would be squeezed in, but that lasted about fifteen minutes and was accompanied by kids and dogs, all anxious to take advantage of my perceived "trapped" state tucked under the covers with a tray precariously balanced on my lap. 

Two years ago, twelve years into motherhood, I had just made the usual calls to both my mom and my husband's mother to wish them Happy Mother's Day when the doorbell rang.  I had no idea how much I had missed the big "to-do" of my own Mother's Day until the moment I saw my husband standing at the door dressed as a delivery man and holding out an arrangement of irises, "delivery for Mrs. Stone" he said quite formally.

I reached out to take the flowers with what I'm sure can only be described as a look of shock.  "Thank you young man" I replied as I accepted them, "would you like to come in for a cup of coffee?  I'm afraid I don't have any change for a tip."

"Why, yes, thank you ma'am.  I'd like that very much.  Delivering flowers is much harder than most people realize you know."  Ronnie joined me in the living room as I sat the flowers on the coffee table and went to get us each a cup of coffee.  When I returned, he had removed his delivery man's cap and was gently rearranging the flowers, all three of the kids watching on with happy grins.

"Why look here!  There's something stuck down in these flowers!" he exclaimed as though surprised.  At that, he dropped all pretenses and extracted a small golden box and held it in his hand, saying, "Janice, I'm afraid I'm very guilty of getting so wrapped up in everyday things that I don't take the time to tell you what a terrific wife and mother you are.  Mother's Day slides by with barely an acknowledgement, but today I'm going to take advantage of the occasion to show you my appreciation."   He was joined by a chorus of enthusiastic "Happy Mother's Day Mommy.  We love you!" from the kids.

I watched as he opened the lid of the box and removed a Mother's ring with birthstones for each of our children and slid it on my right ring finger.  "Thank you sweetheart for all that you do.  I apologize for not saying it often enough, but it's always something I'm aware of.  I love you very much."

After years of Mother's Day being just another day, my wonderful husband and children had just turned it into one of the most special days of my life.

 Drop by and let us help you be her HERO!
 St. John & Myers Jewelry - the only jeweler in Central Kentucky with expertise in antique and period jewelry, custom design and restoration of antique jewelry.
400 Old Vine Street, Ste 100, Lexington KY  40507
859-559-4242

No comments:

Post a Comment